In my last post, I mentioned that I had just gotten a new sewing machine and had all kinds of ideas for brightening up all of the BROWN in the living room. I have an old Singer Featherweight my mother gave me that I think used to belong to my great grandmother. Supposedly these are highly sought after and there are quite a few people out there who prefer them over the newer computerized machines. However, when I tried to figure out how to thread it, I decided it is NOT for beginners. So instead I did some research and ended up choosing this one. I was a little skeptical about one that goes along with a TV show (a TV show that I love, but still...) but the reviews were really good and it's made by a reputable company, so I decided to try it out.
The flaw in my plan of course was that while I had a brand new sewing machine, I didn't actually know how to USE it (minor detail). So, after I spent an entire afternoon reading the instructions and teaching myself how to thread it, wind bobbins, etc., I was ready to try an actual project! I searched Pinterest and settled on a really cute little reversible tote bag. It looked pretty easy and I figured it would make a good present for some adorable little nieces I know.
Shockingly, it ended up being fairly easy! Each tote bag was SUPPOSED to take around 30 minutes to complete. For me it was more like 3 hours. Per bag.
So once I had figured out the basics, I figured I was ready to get started on new couch cushions! My plan was to just sew pillowcases to go over the existing cushions. Originally, I thought of doing them envelope-style, so that I wouldn't have to mess with buttonholes or zippers. But then I saw this tutorial that made zippers look so (sew?) easy! I was a little intimidated, but hey, I just made tote bags! I could totally do zippers! Or.....could I?
As it turns out, I.HATE.ZIPPERS. First of all, I had to change between two different feet on the machine, which is not that big of a deal, but here I had just barely learned to sew a straight line, now you want me to put on a different FOOT!? Then, despite the directions making it look easy, I had SO much trouble sewing around the zipper pull when I got to the end. Probably 75% of my time on this project was spent just trying to do the stupid zippers! So overall, it took almost two entire Sundays and one weeknight to essentially sew 8 square bags.
Here is the couch before, with the brown pillows against the tan walls, brown carpet, etc. So blah.
Here is the new and improved couch!
Unfortunately now that it is winter, there isn't any bright natural light in the living room, so I had trouble getting decent pictures. We decided to go with orange and blue, since we already had orange in the room (tv stand and curtains) and the blue ties in the foyer as well.
Of course, we didn't consider that the dark blue pillows might not hide cat hair very well, so it looks like we need to invest in even more lint rollers. But overall, the new covers brighten up the room substantially. Just don't look too closely at the seams, and for the love of GOD, do not judge my terrible zippers! We just keep the zipper sides on the bottom, so they aren't as noticeable.