Sunday, December 7, 2014

Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas

It's hard to believe, but it is December already! It's even harder to believe that even though we've only lived in this house for 2 and a half years, we have somehow managed to accumulate a LOT of Christmas decorations.  A LOT.  One of the things that really attracted us to this house was the thought of how awesome it would look decorated for the holidays, and we have not been disappointed!  Of course we didn't consider the fact that we are hermits and rarely have people over, and no one else ever actually sees it.  We had originally thought about having a Christmas party this year, but the last couple of weeks have been tough, and we decided we don't need any added stress this year. So, I thought I would share a few pictures here instead!




One of the cats has decided he loves to curl up and snooze in this basket.  A wire basket full of burlap doesn't sound that comfortable to me, but he doesn't seem to mind.  Of course, he jumps out and runs away every time I try to take a picture of him in there, so a shot of his ears was the best I could get:




These are new ones we found at Target this year.  I wish we had a fireplace mantle to put them on, but since we don't (what 120-year old house doesn't have a single fireplace!?), they can just hang out on the buffet for the time being:


I took an old apothecary jar we had sitting around and filled it with small Christmas balls. I would have liked to fill it with candy, but that wouldn't have lasted very long around here. I'm reasonably certain neither of us are going to be tempted to eat ornaments, so this should last through the season!


I used the same table centerpiece that I made last year:



We also put a couple of decorations up on the porch:


We used to have an old runner sled, but ended up selling it.  Now I wish we still had it, because it would look really nice out here with the ice skates and some greens on it.  I'll have to put that on my list for garage sales next spring!


And finally, we have the bird cage.  This is something that used to hang in my grandparents' house, and then my parents had it, and now we have it at our house.  It looks really nice out on the porch all lit up at night.  Up until a couple of years ago, it still had the original lights on it, and even after 50 years, they still worked! Unfortunately, after we got it, the lights finally died.  Lance knew that the bird cage was pretty important to my family, so he painstakingly removed the old lights and strung on new ones, and now it is as good as new!

Once we get a good layer of snow, I will go out and take some pictures of it from the outside, too.

There are still PLENTY of decorations that I didn't include, so I'll save those for another post :) In the meantime, Happy Holidays from the Doumas!

No comments:

Post a Comment