Sunday, May 10, 2015

Living in a Hoarder's Paradise

After spending the majority of yesterday working on the yard, we were finally able to get out today and finish up a couple of things that have been sitting in the garage for the past couple of weeks.

First, we have a pair of chairs that Lance found on the side of the road.  We're not sure why someone would throw them out- the seats needed to be re-upholstered and they were a little scuffed up, but overall in great shape.  We didn't get a picture of the BEFORE before, but here's what they looked like after Lance cleaned them up with some Restor-A-Finish. This stuff is amazing- it gets rid of build up and light scratches, and overall brightens everything up.  I highly recommend it!



And here they are after I finished re-covering the seats.  The chair on the right actually had the original seat- with springs. So the old fabric and foam pretty much disintegrated when I cut it off.  Luckily I did that outside because that stuff was EVERYWHERE.




Next, we have a pair of old soda crates we got at a garage sale last weekend.


One was missing it's bottom, so Lance decided to attach them together:



And he built a top that sets securely into the crates, so that it makes a rustic end table:




And finally, we have this lovely dresser we picked up for $5 at the same place where we bought the crates.


We debated what to do with it because the paint on the drawers had a great crackle to it, but the paint on the rest of it was rubbed off in weird places and at one point it had been painted a not so attractive shade of salmon pink that was showing through. Finally, we decided to leave the drawers as-is and to paint the rest.  I sanded it down to get all of the loose paint chips off, then used a spray primer (here's why I LOVE spray paint- you can prime a whole dresser in 5 minutes!)


Then I painted it with 2 coats of a light gray/blue color we had left over from when I re-did our nightstands a couple of years ago. When it was dry, I used some 80 grit sandpaper to distress it a little bit around the edges and finished the whole thing off with a couple of coats of Polycrylic.  So while it looks shabby, it is actually very smooth and clean to the touch. I wanted to do something cool with the knobs, but after my attempts at decoupage failed miserably, I ended up just painting them antique white to match the drawers and calling it good. So, here's the finished product:





I wanted something nice to line the drawers with, but I couldn't really find any cool patterns of drawer liner at the store.  Then I discovered that I'd actually bought a roll of drawer liner and a roll of wrapping paper in the dollar bins at Target a while ago for $3 each.  I knew they'd come in handy some day!


There wasn't actually enough of the actual drawer liner to cover all 3 drawers, but there was plenty of the wrapping paper.  So I cut it down to size and just set it in there, and it turned out really well.  Note to self: next time I see this stuff at Target, I am going to stock up!!!



So that's what we've been working on over the past couple of weeks.  I would like to say we are making a dent in our garage full of hoardings, but...nope.  Onward.

No comments:

Post a Comment